There are many things you need to keep in mind when you feel you would need a DUI attorney. One of the most important criteria about hiring a DUI lawyer is timing. You need to hire a good legal expert when you are arrested for once you are in custody your ‘search’ would be heavily impeded. Therefore, you will need to take note of the following five steps:
1. Stop drinking and driving – staying clean is the best policy ever. No guilt, nothing to fear. Prevention is always better than the cure and in this case it can spare you of tremendous problems. In case you plan to drink, get a cab or have a non-drinking friend to drive you home. Do not take the risk of driving yourself home, even if you feel okay. You never know what happens on the road, and you will end up with DUI charges.
2. DUI Charges are very serious – if you are caught and arrested on a DUI charge, you will need legal advice as soon as possible so he can protect you even against yourself for you might make statements that would go against you. This is why it is very important that you have your contact person make arrangements with a legal professional soon after your arrest.
3. Know the law – knowing the law is important if you do not want to get hassled all the time about various DUI matters. If you have problems with drinking, ensure that you know all that there is to know about DUI and arrests. It is important to always be aware of the rules and regulations and that you stay within their boundaries as much as possible. When by any chance you side step anywhere, make sure you have a lawyer handling such matters on your behalf.
4. Coordinate the charges with your lawyer before hand – it is good to have a family lawyer just as you would have a family doctor. This means that this attorney whom you could trust is already on a retainer with you and therefore would rush to your aid without any ado or delay. It is extremely important that you have a lawyer present at the arrest as soon as possible.
5. Settle outside the court as much as possible – DUI charges include jail time. Do not risk that. Try always to close the deal outside the court so nothing will go on your records. If it goes on your record you will have plenty to lose because employers would find this, insurance providers will find this, and so on. You might have more trouble landing a job after this and the insurance would charge at least 20% higher.
It is important to take these laws and charges very seriously. It is best to avoid driving if you have been drinking. However, if it is absolutely necessary such as health problems, helping someone in distress, or anything like that you might get away with it with a warning.
For information on attorney Lon Webb click here.